Maxo Vanka completed 25 individual murals in two brief but intense periods in 1937 and 1941 and returned to the Church in 1951 to add the five symbols of Christianity to the choir loft. Vanka’s paint medium was not obvious. It’s documented that it tried to make his own from a variety of substances including mayonnaise but finally settled on a commercial preparation of casein.
Father Albert Zagar lightly prescribed the artist’s subject matter and Vanka maximized his opportunity to pay tribute to faith while expressing his passionate beliefs about social justice, injustice, the horrors of war and helping to preserve and celebrate cultural identity among an immigrant population.
The 75-year presence of the 25 main murals has been largely unaltered with approximately 4,500 sf of the original paintings on constant display. Other aspects of Vanka’s work including a detailed textile design that covered almost every other open wall and pillar space were modified in keeping with the needs of the Church.
Although not a WPA artist, Vanka’s work is reminiscent of those visual storytellers at work during the same time period. Vanka referred to the murals as his “Gift to America” and they have been compared to the works of the great Mexican muralist Diego Rivera.
DATES OF CREATION
- Mary, Queen of Croatia and Arch (438sf)
- Pastoral Croatia (75sf)
- Croatians in America (75sf)
- The Evangelists (340sf ea/1,360sf)
- Pieta (200sf)
- Crucifixion (200sf)
- Immigrant Mother Gives Her Sons for American Industry (100sf)
- Croatian Mother Raises Her Son for War (100sf)
- Justice (100 sf)
- Injustice (100 sf)
- Mary on the Battlefield (325 sf)
- Christ on the Battlefield (325 sf)
- Prudence (100 sf)
- Mati, 1941 (100 sf)
- Transcendent Vision (including Disciples) (Ceiling – 520 sf)
- Old Testament (320 sf)
- New Testament (320 sf)
- The Capitalist (70 sf)
- The Simple Family Meal (70 sf)
- St. Francis (110sf)
- St. Claire (110sf)